Facebook Pixel

Horse Public Liability Insurance

Find out why horse owners and riders need third party cover and why it's Harry Hall's mission to provide affordable cover

Public liability insurance for horse riders is essential. It’s not only the responsibility and safety of the rider and horse but pedestrians and drivers too. Regardless of how well you know the roads and riding route, or how responsible you are as a horse rider, you still never know what’s approaching.

The traffic on UK roads is increasing, and unfortunately, not all drivers are considerate, especially when it comes to horses.

Examples of claims made under an equine public liability insurance policy

  • A horse damaging a vehicle
  • An individual sustaining an injury while you’re riding your horse
  • A horse injuring another horse or rider
  • A horse causing an accident after escaping the boundaries of the property

What is horse public liability insurance?

Public liability insurance protects you should an incident occur with your horse, which results in an injury to a third party or causes damage to their property. Should a member of the public make a successful claim against you, the policy would pay any damages awarded, should you be found legally liable, and associated legal costs. It is important when considering taking out equine insurance that you choose a reputable (or high rated) provider with a specialism in the equestrian industry.

Do you need public liability insurance?

It is strongly recommended that you do, as your own assets could be at risk. As a rider, it’s your responsibility to be mindful of those around you, like you would if you were driving a vehicle.

We understand the challenges faced when taking your horse out onto public roads and riding routes. This is why Harry Hall One Club Membership includes public liability cover which extends to cover the legal costs incurred by defending an action brought against you by a third party. As a rider, you must be more aware of your surroundings and the general public. You can never too be sure of how your horse will react in certain circumstances, particularly if it’s frightened. Also, never assume that drivers and pedestrians will be respectful and attentive to you and your horse.

Due to the recent changes in UK law, the cost of liability claims has increased over the last few years. This means it’s more critical and crucial to have public liability cover. Without public liability insurance, your assets and reputation as a rider could be at risk should you be found liable for an incident involving your horse.

Public liability horse rider insurance is recommended if you’re riding someone else’s horse, whether it’s a friend’s or you’re loaning a horse. An accident can still happen, and you want to make sure that you, the rider, is still covered should you injure a member of the public. Never assume that you’ll be covered by the horse’s owner insurance, as it’s you riding the horse, therefore, you may be held responsible.

Introducing Harry Hall's affordable Public Liability Insurance

When taking out horse rider insurance, it’s essential to go with a reputable provider that has experience within the equine industry. It makes seeking advice easier and less stressful when you’re talking directly to someone with specialist knowledge. Fortunately, Harry Hall works closely with SEIB Insurance Brokers and insurers who are able to provide this, which is why our range of horse insurance products are popular and trusted amongst riders across the UK.

Harry Hall’s horse insurance products are exclusive to our One Club members, however it’s easy to sign-up, affordable and you can rest assured that you’ll have support. Plus, by becoming a One Club member, you’ll receive exclusive discounts and offers on our horse riding clothes and other essential items such as horse rugs, and a year’s free delivery and returns.

Harry Hall One Club Benefits

The Harry Hall One Club includes public liability insurance for your horse and personal accident* cover for riders, as part of the Gold membership.

Currently, the Harry Hall One Club has three fantastic membership types with family options available for more horses.



> Up to 30% off products on HarryHall.com
> Free UK Returns
> One Club Member Benefits Access

£10 Per Year



For 1 Rider + 2 Horses
+ £10M Public Liability Insurance
+ £10K Personal Accident Insurance
+ Free UK Delivery & Returns

£3.58 Per Month



For 4 Family Members + 4 Horses
+ £10M Public Liability Insurance
+ £10K Personal Accident Insurance
+ Free UK Delivery & Returns

£8.33 Per Month



Available as Single or Family cover
+ Affiliated Competition Cover
+ £10M Public Liability Insurance
+ £10K Personal Accident Insurance
+ Free UK Delivery & Returns

£4.83 Per Month

Joining the Harry Hall One Club means exclusive product discounts, year-round savings, free delivery, competitions, access to riding technology and much more. But it also means you and your horse are at the heart of everything we do.

Terms and Conditions

*Pony Club products and Personalisation are excluded from the FREE UK delivery offered to Gold Members.

**Policy terms conditions and territorial limits apply - Harry Hall International Limited is an appointed representative of SEIB Insurance Broker Limited who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Terms, conditions and territorial limits apply.

To view your policy documents please login to the Harry Hall Riding App or visit the My Account section of the website. You will also be emailed your policy documents and important phone numbers.